Monday, August 3, 2009

How to find a dog trainer to help you and your dog.



Since many of the Dogs Life KC pack is out "Hitting the Town with our Hounds," we're often how we got our dogs to behave like they do.

"We train them."

When asked who trained them, the answer is the same.

"We train them."


One of the most popular responses by far then is: "How long did you have to take him to obedience school to act like that?"

My favorite answer is, "He's 7 years old and we still go to school once a week."

The training level I want from my dogs is different than the average person that we meet on the street. And, I can easily say that for each of the Dogs Life KC pack members. Our dogs are active as service dogs, therapy dogs, show dogs, search and rescue dogs, etc. That means many hours are put in "teaching" the dogs each and every week.

So, if the person is still talking to me after I say that I have been taking my dog to obedience school for his entire life, then he or she will ask "Can you recommend a dog trainer to help me?"

That is a sticky wicket. Recommending a dog trainer is akin to recommending a church. You really don't want to offend someone accidentally.

I used to recommend different trainers in the area. But, after a bit, I've learned it is safer to ask:
  • What are you REALLY wanting from your dog?

  • How much effort are you willing to put in to the task?

  • How far are you willing to drive?
From those questions, I'll get a feel for what the person truly wants and maybe from that, I'll be able to recommend a few trainers that are agreeable with the goals and driving distance.

Some people laugh at those questions. But, they're actually quite serious when you think about them.

1) If someone is wanting their 5 month old Golden Retriever to act like my 7-year old Newfoundland within two months, that is just not going to happen without a lot of time and work.

2) If a person has a 9-year old Labrador/Great Dane mix that has always been food aggressive but they now have a toddler that likes to annoy the dog chances are they want the issue fixed NOW if not yesterday. But, they'll have to work and be diligent.

3) And, yes, travel time has to be taken in to consideration. For example, I personally have no issues driving from Lenexa to Lawrence for a dog class once a week. But, I enjoy the quiet time with my dog and it gives me a chance to catch up on phone calls. Other people balk at that time though.

Finding a dog trainer that fits you, your needs and your dog is a quest. The quest is similar to looking for a new pair of casual shoes. What looks good on the surface may not fit well or it may fit but doesn't look great with the majority of outfits owned.

So, before you go out looking for a trainer, decide what training style fits your personality.

I've met dog people who are hard core believers that a dog should never be punished or forced to do a thing. We as humans should "shape" their behaviors and never "lure" them or force them by putting our hands on them. http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1135

Are you a fan or foe of Cesar Millan - The Dog Whisperer guy on TV?

Are you open to the idea of using a clicker? This is a method similar to dolphin or whale training at Sea World. http://www.clickertraining.com/

I've even heard people tell me that their dog works purely because of love. Treats and praise are not necessary because their love is strong.
With all of this...I can honestly say I believe that IF you pick a method of training that you believe in 100% and you use that method 100%, the odds are good that eventually your dog will be trained.

True, your dog may not be originally aligned for that method. But, if you stick with it then eventually you'll get some compliance and training will have results.

How do you pick a trainer for you and your dog?

Watch a class or two.

Watch the trainer in a couple of classes. Then answer these questions:

  • Is the class too big for the instructor?
  • Does the instructor allow questions?
  • Does the instructor give attention to those needing it?
  • Are the students and dogs comfortable in the class?
  • Are the dogs excited to see the trainer?

What is the trainer's background and experience in dogs?

Ask the trainer about his/her background in dogs and what it is they like to do in regards to training. If the trainer just has a "pet dog" at home then maybe this person doesn't have the experience you personally need.


You must be comfortable with the person's experience because this means the person is aligned to a certain method or style of training.


What equipment is the trainer and students using on their dogs?
flat or buckle collars?
Head halters?
Pinch collars?
E-collars(electronic)?

Are you comfortable with the equipment the trainer is using? If not, then look to a different class.

What is your gut reaction?
Is this a trainer you can work with? If you hesitate in your answer then move on. There is a trainer out there for everyone.

So then...what is in my personal dog training toolbox? I have a little bit of everything.

I've taken well over 1000 hours of dog training classes in a variey of subjects:
  • puppy kindergarten
  • canine good citizen
  • basic home obedience
  • novice
  • advanced
  • compeition obedience
  • therapy dog training
  • head collar training
  • e-collar training
  • agility
  • off-leash
  • rally-obedience
  • basic clicker training
  • trick training
  • basic scent work
  • advanced scent work
  • tracking
  • human remains detection
  • collapsed structure search
  • water searches
  • basic avalanche work
  • air-scent
  • reading calming signals from dogs
  • canine body language
  • form follows function in canine structure
  • and the list goes on, and on, and on
But, here is the kicker, I love this stuff. I find it immensely exciting and I'll go to classes that I don't always a strong interest in because I want to hear the trainer and observe the dogs. I love watching the dogs learn, and think. I think it is exciting to watch the light bulbs go on for the dogs and I sincerely believe that the dogs have a great time learning things and being able to conquer new tasks.

From all of those classes, I have a fairly interesting tool box. I don't conform 100% to any method of training. I use a variety of methods and skills dependent upon the dog and situation presented.


Nicki

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing in detail. Your blog is an inspiration! Apart of really useful tips, it's just really ! This post will be effectively Just about everything looks good displayed.
    ____________________________
    Dog training long island

    ReplyDelete