Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What would life be like without a dog?

I readily admit, over the years, I have gotten spoiled. For my entire adult life, I've had a dog with me.

When I leave for work, there is a fuzzy face peering out the window as I pull out of the driveway. It is that same face that greets me when I get home and pushes through the door to see if I brought something home for him.

There used to be three black, wooly mammoths in the house to watch me leave, welcome me home, share the couch space and accompany me on walks and trips. Now, there is just one, Quincy, affectionately known as the Q.

He used to be the youngest of three and now is the remaining, reigning king of the house.

The last two years have been hard on us. Calvin, the middle Newfie, passed away. I lost a job, got a job and we had to move. Of course, all of this not only added stress to my life, it had an impact on Quincy, too. And, to makes things worse, he was gravely ill twice.

Luckily, we had each other and we pulled through everything. He got me through the rough times and I took on the role of nursemaid when he was sick. But, it also made me contemplate, what would life be like without a dog?

The only thing I could think of was "extremely lonely." True, I have friends and family, but the thought of possibly losing the Q made me ill. He is my constant companion, my confidant and my BFF. :-)

I have had friends say that they enjoy the dog-less life. They can come and go as they please. IF they want to go to Chicago for a weekend, they just go.They're not shelling out $$$ for special foods, vet bills and pet sitters. And, they don't worry about rushing home after work to let the dog out.

A few speak of these things as horrid obligations and a reason not to have a dog.

I don't see those as horrible tasks. I see them as really cheap payment for all the companionship and enjoyment I get from them. What I have to do is a drop in the bucket for what I get and I do feel that having the Q in my life helps me structure and schedule it so I can get more accomplished.

Two weeks ago, Quincy's daughter, Darla, had a gorgeous litter of Newfoundland puppies. And the lovely "puppy-itis" started.

I had been waiting for this litter, particularly after freaking out last fall over Quincy's illnesses. I was seeing this as an opportunity to add to the fuzzy family with a new, little boy. I had picked out names, planned puppy classes, and all the cool things we could do.

Alas, the litter was all girls and I was greatly disappointed.

True, they're all extremely beautiful and have all the potential in the world. And, LOADS of my friends have girl dogs and adore them to no end. But, I couldn't get past my "sex prejudice." I wanted a boy.

After the arrival of the "girls," I talked to the lady that I got Quincy from and she had a litter on the ground with 7 boys. She couldn't promise me that the right one would be there for me but she said I could get on her waiting list. So, I contemplated that over the weekend.

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." I heard that over and over from my friends.

I agree with that, but couldn't figure out for the life of me what that meant at this moment. I have 5 girl puppies and wanted a boy. Do I change my expectations? Do I get on the list for a boy? Or, do I come up with another plan?

I hemmed and hawed. I made pros and cons lists. I tore them up and started over again.

Last night, I sat in the whelping box with Darla and looked at her beautiful babies. I kissed them all and assigned them to their new homes:
- one goes to Florida;
- two go to families in Kansas;
- and the rest go to Michigan

None will stay with me. I'll see the ones in Kansas on a regular basis. I'll help with grooming and training them. But, none will stay with me.

After I notified all the new homes their precious package would be ready to leave with them in 8 weeks, I got on email and took my name off the waiting list for a boy.

I then took Quincy for a walk and told him that it was "just you and me kiddo."

Scary as it is to contemplate the thought of being without a dog, I realized that I'm booked to the gills right now with work, the Web site, and other commitments, not to mention the fact that Quincy is not ready to retire.

Yes, I would love the dog: boy or girl. It's just my nature. I'd love it no matter what. But, I would rather those dogs go to homes where they'll be the star. I don't have the time to devote to that at this moment.

Right now, Quincy and I have the task of helping others make their dogs the light of their families life.

Very Drooly Yours,

Nicki & the Q

No comments:

Post a Comment